1. We all drive trucks.
No. Although trucks are useful on the farm and for drive-in movies.
2. We love to go cow tipping.
Have you ever tried to tip a cow? Doesn’t work.
3. County fairs are the highlight of the year.
Yes, we all love a good lemon shake-up. But going to the fair is certainly not the highlight of our year. Unless you win Grand Champion Alfalfa…then it’s the highlight of your year.
4. We are all a bunch of rednecks.
Only in the summers when we spend too much time at the lake without sunscreen!
5. We live for country music.
6. And cheap beer.
Does anyone like cheap beer?
7. All of our parties are in barns or in a field. And at these parties, we play corn hole.
I mean not EVERY party…
Sure there are many conservative viewpoints, but there are just as many liberal viewpoints. It varies each year just like any other place.
9. We never want to leave our town, much less our state.
Plenty of us leave. And most of us come back.
10. We eat copious amounts of cheese.
But really, don’t we all?
11. And our constant consumption of fast food is making us fat.
12. We deep fry everything and dip 99% of our food in Ranch dressing.
Okay so maybe we put Ranch with our pizza, but who doesn’t?
13. We’re poor.
States like Minnesota and North Dakota are actually above average in terms of National Disposable Income. Get your facts straight, alright?!
14. And we’re uneducated.
High School Graduates:
College Graduates (Bachelor’s degree):
15. The midwest is just a bunch of cornfields and wide open spaces.
Sure, we have a lot of cornfields. But we also have some of the greatest cities in the U.S.
16. And we drive tractors to school.
Only on FFA Tractor Day, OK?!
17. All Southern Ladies Do Is Cook All Day. Just Cook & Sleep, that’s it.
18. Saying “y’all.” Especially for us Southern folks.
Because what does “you guys” even mean?
19. Drinking sweet tea with every meal.
Sorry, we don’t drink “pop” in the south.
20. Monogramming everything.
It’s important to take pride in the family name, obviously.
21. Embracing butter as a way of life.
No, but seriously, of course we do.
22. Loving a good glamour shot…
These need to be taken every year and require big hair.
23. Wearing boat shoes year-round.
And only Sperrys.
24. Not leaving the house without pearls.
Pearls are everything diamonds aren’t.
25. …when we go to see this.
Horse races are also non-negotiable.
What are some stereotypes you hate about people deep into the ‘burbs? Let us know what you’ve experienced as local burb citizens (or as being a traveler to somewhere deep into the ‘burbs) in the comments section below. We’d love to hear from you! 😉
Taylor GoldblattAfter years of research, travel, and dreams, I have created this website for people like you who want to experience the things that only America can offer. My passion is to explore and share America's greatest destinations and attractions. Follow me on Twitter @USCityTraveler for additional travel tips and ideas.