After a long week at the office, doing the same old same old day after day, who doesn’t need a little break from it all? Grab your lover and tell them it’s time to start packing their bags for that long awaited and much needed stroll by the beach at sunset…or better yet, start packing them for them. Start making reservations for a spa retreat and a night of alone time at a swanky little beachside grill. Whether you’re newlyweds or 50 years in the making and trying to rekindle that first spark, there’s never been a better time to hit the sunset.
America’s 10 Best Romantic Getaways
1. San Francisco – Have a romantic candle lit dinner in Chinatown or take a cable car ride on Nob Hill. Take in the breathtaking view of the Golden Gate Bridge while smooching in the waterways underneath, or chow down on fresh seafood, watch street performers or go shopping at Fisherman’s Wharf. What’s more romantic than being held tight by your loved one as you step aboard Alcatraz Island, which was once the most feared prison in America, yet can now be conveniently accessed by ferry. Whether your idea of true love is holding hands while observing the sea lion colony or just standing back lying on the grass in Golden Gate Park while reminiscing about the day you first met, ‘Cisco is a lovers number one hot spot in our book.
2. New Orleans – Although New Orleans has a reputation as a place to party, this stunning city also gives couples an elegant setting to relax and unwind. The foodie scene offers a touch of Paris at the famous Cafe Du Monde or a dive into the culinary celebrity scene at Emeril Lagasse’s restaurant. Between its historic sights, calming sounds and friendly people, New Orleans provides an experience that’s highly memorable for couples. Come for a nice horse and buggy ride down the cobble stone alleyways, head to one of the rowdy festivals, embark in a variety of cultures, or head to your hotels elegant spa here in America’s most un-American city. The crescent City, or as many of the locals like to call it, N’Awlins, has a reputation for offering small town charm with big city amenities, helping this city to truly stand out amongst urban America’s sprawling mix of fun.
3. Key West – Another city that is unlike anywhere else in this great country, Hemingway sure knew what he was doing during his time in Florida’s Key West, a city that is greatly joyous in its love of romance. Snuggle up in your cottage or boutique hotel by the waterways and wake up to a nice warm homemade breakfast. Watch the sunset in Mallory Square–amidst pranksters and fire breathers galore–and keep your eyes peeled for the ‘green flash’ as the sun sets over the water. Go scuba diving together or brave the high seas for deep sea fishing tours. It’s kind of like a laid back Caribbean beach village that you would find in Jamaica or Martinique, yet its just a 3½ hour drive outside of Miami. Lovebirds just love it here.
4. Savannah, GA – With over a dozen park-like town squares dotting this lovely city in Georgia’s low country, small town America has never looked more inviting. Couples stroll through quiet neighborhoods, or explore the bustling waterfront, visiting places like Forsyth Park, which offers a lovely place to picnic and cozy hotels are just footsteps away. The town is practically draped in Spanish moss, with Old World Southern congeniality, offering an unsurpassable sense of charm and mystery. Stop at a cute antique store and pick up a glass of wine on your way back to the room. In the evening, tour the Riverwalk for lively music, seafood and fine dining as you sip your wine and look over the water.
5. Honolulu, HI – The capital and largest city of Hawaii is located on O’ahu, Hawaii’s most populated island. This island is our number one Hawaiian choice for first-time visitors, as three-quarters of state residents choose to call O’ahu home. It offers a wide variety of romantic things to do, including beautiful beaches, art galleries, intriguing museums sharing the islands rich culture, parks and relaxing activities. Grab your baby and go for a stroll through the deep jungle or gaze into each others eyes as a volcano erupts back behind you. From hiking to a beachside yoga class, Hawaii is sure to inspire you to make some moves when you get back to your Tiki hut!
6. U.S. Virgin Islands – No passport is required to see “America’s Caribbean Paradise,” a scenic hideaway in paradise. You could visit either St. Thomas, St. John or St. Croix, or simply spend a little time on all three islands to receive plenty of pampering, undisturbed nature and colonial history jammed into one vacation. Each island has its own distinctive land forms, with St. Thomas known as being the most luxurious. It’s called “Rock City” for its hilly, craggy horizon, which peaks past the mega-yachts in the harbor to the Gucci and Tiffany & Co. storefronts along Main Street. Then hop aboard the ferry-ride to St. John, where honeymooners and nature lovers run wild with more than 7,000 acres of dedicated parkland, in addition to its scenic beaches. The less-visited–yet every bit as lovely–St. Croix has sugar cane plantations and rum distilleries.
7. Nashville, TN – Music city has become especially well known for its influence in the world of country music, perfect for a country music group of lovers who are looking to connect with their incredible roots. Major attractions include the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum and the iconic Grand Ole Opry. Despite common misconceptions, Nashville is also well known for its impact in the world of arts and culture, as you’ll find the world’s only full-scale reproduction of the ancient Parthenon in Athens, Greece, which houses an art gallery and museum, along with Athena, which is the tallest indoor sculpture in the Western world.
8. Napa Valley, CA – Vineyards meet cozy wine caverns and luxurious boutique hotels in this wine-lover’s paradise, which is destined for the ultimate romantic getaway. Wine connoisseurs indulge in the valley’s sweet grapes at historic estates in this sacred land, which is nearby San Francisco, yet offers a luxurious small town vibe. You’ll see plenty of rolling hills, flora and fauna, and vast stretches of vineyards, but they come hand-in-hand with upscale restaurants and adorable boutiques. From spas to tours of the scenic surroundings, you and your loved one are sure to love this place so much that you’re sure to fall in love yourself.
9. Charleston, SC – A low-key getaway, Charleston is filled with historic homes, art galleries and tasty Southern cuisine, scenic beaches, and charming locals. Accommodations range from beachfront resorts to historic inns and bed and breakfasts that you’re sure to never want to leave. Well restored Antebellum mansions meet nicely manicured gardens, where if the walls and trees could only talk, you bet they’d have quite a few love stories to share. The Low Country cuisine will leave you two feeling like you’ve died and gone to heaven.
10. Washington, D.C. – The capital of the great USA is a great place for the two of you to go before you have kids (or while the kids are at home), due to its abundance of culture and deep rooted history that the kiddos may just be too young to truly appreciate. It’s also a great spot for lovers on a budget, as nearly every major attraction happens to be free of charge. Cuddle up by the The Washington Monument late at night and head back out the next day embark on a journey of exploration through the 20 exhibitions of the Smithsonian Institution, the largest museum complex in the world. Live it up like the Obamas here in the place that our leader calls home.
What’s your favorite hot spot for reigniting the fire in your relationship? Did we list it? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.